Thursday, October 28, 2010

1900 US Census - Frank Emery

I was successful in finding the descendants of my great grandfather, Fred Emery's younger brother, Frank, who I thought may have died as an infant.   

I had come across Frank's name on the 1900 and 1910 US census, but I wasn't 100% sure it was the same person and didn't know why he was living in a household with so many different last names.   I spoke with Frank's granddaughter this week who informed me that he had grown up in an orphanage.

Here is the 1900 US census for the third child born to Abigail (Williams) and Fred J Emery.

























Frank is listed as a boarder (8th from the bottom) living in Mitchellville, Polk County, Iowa.    Frank was only 8 years old at the time the census was taken.

No one knows why Frank was left behind while his brother and sister went to live with their mother in Chicago after their parents divorced.     Unfortunately Frank's children never lived to find out their father had a brother and sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment