Wednesday, September 22, 2010

1885 Iowa State Census - David W Emery

Here is the 1885 Iowa State Census for my great great great grandparents, Sarah and David W Emery.   The Emery's were living in Ottumwa, Iowa with six of their children, Fred J (my great great grandfather), Bert, Clyde, Clark, Benjamin and Georgia.






















David was employed as a carpenter and Fred was employed as a carriage trimmer, though I'm not sure of the "trimmer" portion.  It was listed on a subsequent census record.

Because the 1890 US Census was destroyed by fire, the 1885 and 1895 Iowa census records are one of the best ways to piece together the Iowa households of 1890.     I've not been able to locate the 1895 Iowa Census for my great great grandfather Fred J Emery.   (Fred's first wife, my great great grandmother Abigail was living in Chicago by mid-1895, so I'm not sure if she would show up on the Iowa census for that year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment